The School of Journalism and Communication is the first professional school established by Nankai University in the new century. It relies on the advantages of Nankai University as a comprehensive research-oriented institution, guided by the Marxist view of journalism, oriented by the national strategy of media integration and international communication, and aimed at implementing the Excellent Journalism and Communication Talent Education Program 2.0. It explores new ideas for the construction of new liberal arts through “mutual learning between literature and art, the intersection of literature and science, and the integration of literature and engineering”, and is committed to playing a greater role in and providing more support for cultivating omnimedia talents in the new era, promoting media integration and development, and building a discourse system for external communication.
In 2023, the Publishing Research Institute of NKU was established and affiliated to the School of Journalism and Communication at Nankai University. The Publishing Research Institute of NKU is jointly established by NKU and the Publicity Department of the CPC Tianjin Municipal Committee. It has been selected for the list of high-quality institutions under the 2023 High-quality Construction Plan of Publishing Think Tanks. It is committed to building a new system for the development of publishing disciplines, which focuses on systematic advancement, connotation enhancement, model innovation, and platform building. The institute strives to cultivate outstanding publishing talents in the new liberal arts that meet the needs of the new era, contribute to the construction of the world's leading publishing discipline in China, and accelerate the development of cultural and publishing powers.
To further enhance the level of talent development and accelerate disciplinary development, we are now sincerely inviting outstanding talents inside and outside China to join us at Nankai University's School of Journalism and Communication, and work together for our common development!
I Positions and Conditions
(I) Full-time positions for talent introduction
1. Positions and basic requirements
Applicants should abide by laws and regulations, uphold social ethics, maintain good physical health, possess academic integrity, demonstrate rigorous scholarship, have achieved outstanding academic results and meet the following basic requirements. Specific application conditions are subject to the official documents of Nankai University. The applicants need to be evaluated in accordance with relevant regulations.
(1) High-end talents (Nankai Chair Professor, Nankai Outstanding Professor, and Nankai Talent Professor)
● Basic requirements for Nankai Chair Professor: Possess internationally recognized academic reputation and influence in the relevant discipline, be a leading scholar and disciplinary leader in the relevant field, have achieved marked innovative research results, and meet other requirements specified for the position. Overseas applicants should hold senior professorship or have equivalent qualifications at top-tier universities or research institutions worldwide.
● Basic requirements for Nankai Outstanding Professor: Possess a good academic reputation and influence in the relevant discipline, be a renowned scholar and academic leader in the relevant field, have achieved outstanding teaching and research results, and meet other requirements specified for the position. Overseas applicants should hold professorship or have equivalent qualifications at first-class universities or research institutions worldwide.
● Basic requirements for Nankai Talent Professor: Possess a relatively good academic reputation and influence in the relevant discipline, be an academic backbone in the relevant field, have achieved relatively high-level teaching and research results, and meet other requirements specified for the position. Overseas applicants should hold associate professorship or have equivalent qualifications at first-class universities or research institutions worldwide.
Basic requirements: Below 48 years of age and meet the appointment criteria for professorship at Nankai University.
2. Majors or professional directions
Journalism and Communication, Art Theory, Drama and Film Studies, as well as interdisciplinary fields in Journalism and Communication within the following disciplines: Statistics, Control Science and Engineering, Computer Science and Technology, and Management Science and Engineering
(II) Open recruitment positions for teaching and research (associate professors)
1. Number of recruits
2. Majors or professional directions
0503 Journalism and Communication (Editing and Publishing is preferred), 1301 Art Theory, 1303 Drama and Film Studies, as well as interdisciplinary fields in Journalism and Communication within the following disciplines: 0714 Statistics, 0811 Control Science and Engineering, 0812 Computer Science and Technology, and 1201 Management Science and Engineering
Note: The disciplines are established mainly based on the Catalogue of Disciplines and Specialties for Granting Doctoral and Master's Degrees and Cultivating Graduate Students issued by the Ministry of Education (1997), the Catalogue of Disciplines for Degree Granting and Talent Cultivation (updated in April 2018), and the Secondary Disciplines (Doctoral Programs) Not Listed in Nankai University's Self-established Catalogue (updated in October 2021). The applicants whose discipline or specialty is not included in the designated reference catalogues but is similar to those required by the position may contact the School to confirm eligibility for application.
3. Job requirements
Applicants should have a doctoral degree and hold a Ph.D. qualification, with at least 2 years of full-time research experience after obtaining the Ph.D. degree, under the age of 35 (requirements for age may be slightly relaxed for exceptional candidates). They should have significant academic potential, a passion for journalism and communication education, a willingness to engage in interdisciplinary research in the new liberal arts, strong academic literacy and research capabilities, the ability to guide students in relevant practical activities, and spirit of teamwork.
(III) Positions for postdoctoral fellow
The School recruits postdoctoral fellows based on the Postdoctoral Research Station of Library, Information and Archive Management.
1. Collaborating mentors and their research directions
(Arranged in surname stroke order)
(1) Professor Wang Xiaohui, whose research direction is foreign reporting and international communication.
(2) Professor Liu Yadong, whose research direction is communication theory and practice, technological development, and innovation pathways.
(3) Professor Liu Yunfeng, whose research direction is modern publishing theory and practice, publishing industry and management, and Chinese modern literature and communication, etc.
(4) Professor Liu Zhongbo, whose research direction is documentary film theory and creation, film and television art communication, new media, and international communication.
(5) Professor Sun Dehong, whose research direction is news communication aesthetics, news communication practice, and international communication of cultural classics.
(6) Professor Chen Ning, whose research direction is research on journalism and publishing practices, mass communication, and gender culture.
(7) Professor Zhong Shenjun, whose research direction is strategic communication, metaverse, and media evolution trends.
(8) Professor Qi Dexiang, whose research direction is international communication, China's publishing going global, integrated publishing, and media operation and management.
2. Job requirements
(1) Possess good professional ethics and a dedicated work ethic, abide by laws and regulations, maintain academic integrity, and have the necessary political qualities and ethical cultivation to become a university teacher.
(2) Hold a doctoral degree from domestic or foreign institutions, have a high level of academic achievement, possess the ability to undertake national-level research projects, and have the potential to become a full-time teacher at Nankai University.
(3) At or under the age of 35 and within three years of completing a doctoral degree.
(4) Majors or professional directions: The same as those specified for the full-time talent introduction.
Nankai University provides strong and long-term support for introduced talents by offering competitive remuneration package and special support in salary and benefits, scientific research start-up funding, housing subsidies and settling-in allowance, establishment of scientific research platform, internationalized training and support, etc. Meanwhile, the University provides a high-quality kindergarten, an affiliated primary school (well-known primary school in Tianjin), an affiliated hospital and other facilities, striving to create a development environment where talents can focus on their research.
III Application Procedure
(1) Full-time positions for talent introduction
The job openings are valid throughout the year and can be applied at any time. Please send your personal resume, representative works in the past five years, work plan, and two letters of recommendation from peers directly to the School's email address, clearly stating the specific position you are applying for. The School will review and contact applicants according to the relevant procedures to introduce talents.
(II) Open recruitment positions for teaching and research (associate professor)
There is only one way for application. Applicants need to log in to Nankai University's open recruitment system and submit their application information online (website: zhaopin.nankai.edu.cn) before 12:00 on November 15, 2023 (GMT+8).
(III) Positions for postdoctoral fellow
Applicants should first contact the collaborating mentor directly (detailed introduction and contact email of the mentor can be found on the faculty team page of the School's website). After reaching a preliminary agreement with the collaborating mentor, applicants should send an electronic version of their application materials to the School's contact email, with a copy sent to the collaborating mentor's email. The subject of the email should be titled Postdoctoral Position Application - Applicant's Name - Collaborating Mentor's Name. The application materials include:
1. Personal academic resume, including personal information, educational and work experience, research achievements, etc., with an email address and contact phone number attached;
2. Scanned copies of the highest academic certificate and degree certificate;
3. Proof of identity (scanned copies of valid identity documents such as ID cards);
4. Full text of representative achievement results (if there are more than three works, please select three works as representatives);
5. At least two letters of recommendation from experts with senior professional titles (one written by the applicant's doctoral supervisor, and one written by a peer expert);
6. Academic and research award certificates or proof of undertaking research projects;
7. Postdoctoral research plan (including specific research topics, research content, research methods, expected published results, etc., around 1,000 words).
(IV) Each person is limited to applying for only one position among all the available positions.
IV Contact Information
Contact person: Teacher Zhang
School of Journalism and Communication, Nankai University
October 30, 2023
©School of Nankai University journalism and communication. All rights reserved